If you are concerned about the pH level of your drinking water then you are in the right place. In this article you will learn how to make your own alkaline water for you and your family to drink.
Alkaline Water the Basics
All food and beverages have a pH level that ranges from very acidic (0) to very alkaline (14). The numbers run from 0 to 14 with each representing the acidic and alkaline level. While the science is still researching how the pH levels of our food and beverages effect our bodies, there is no doubt that each thing we put in our body has a specific pH level. Some evidence indicates that high acidic foods and beverages may increase our chances for developing illness and even cancer. (Please always do your research and discuss with your healthcare provider before making changes to your diet and before attempting to treat any illness). Some alkaline water drinkers have reported improvements in inflammation, brain fog, and energy levels.
With all that out of the way, what exactly is considered alkaline water? Water generally has a pH of around 7 while alkaline water will have a pH of 7.5 to 9.
Potential Alkaline Water Benefits
Again, please note that there is limited scientific evidence on the benefits of drinking alkaline water. This does not mean that there are or are not any benefits. It means the jury is still out. Always discuss any diet and nutrition changes with your health care provider before making a change such as drinking alkaline water. The following potential benefits have been reported by some alkaline water drinkers, and more research is needed before confirming any of these benefits.
- Alkaline water is hydrating
- May protect against free radicals
- May increase longevity
- May improve acid reflux symptoms
- May improve digestion
How to Make Alkaline Water
- Ionizer for your water: A water ionizer will increase the pH of your water through electrolysis. There are a number of different ionizer models available that can be used at home.
- Ionized water filter: A water ionized filter is a less expensive option for making alkaline water at home. These filters can effectively raise the pH of your tap water.
- pH Drops: Simply add a high quality pH drop to your tap water and you will have easy to make alkaline water at home.
- Baking soda: This is the least expensive way to alkaline your water. Simply add one teaspoon of baking soda per one gallon of water to raise the pH level. Personally the taste is not my favorite but it is a great way to get started with alkaline water at home.
For more water safety guides and tips read these articles:
- Best Alkaline Water Pitchers and Filters
- How reverse water osmosis works
- Distilled Water vs Purified Water
- Best Water Distiller
- Best Shower Water Filter
- Best Water Storage Containers
- Best Water Test Kit
- Best Refrigerator Water Filter
- Best Whole House Water Filter
- Best Under Sink Water Filter
- Best Portable Water Filter
Fred is the Ready Zeal owner and editor. He has been passionately pursuing all things emergency preparation since working alongside his grandfather as a boy growing up in the Midwest. When not working on the family homestead he can be found brewing coffee and reading a good book or backpacking in the wilderness. Contact Fred at [email protected]