Last Updated on September 1, 2020
Are you searching for the best water distiller?
Maintaining safe and clean drinking water is imperative for you and your family’s health. With that in mind I have reviewed the top models on the market and after reading this article you will know my recommendations.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my best water distiller picks, or read on for the full review:
- Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless, Glass Collection
- Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Counter Top Distiller
- Best-In-Class Stainless Steel Water Distiller with Glass Carafe, Porcelain Nozzle Insert and Most Effective VOC Removal
- Mophorn 4L Countertop 750W Stainless Steel Water Distillation Purifier
- CO-Z FDA Approved Water Distiller, Distilling Pure Water Machine for Home Countertop Table Desktop
Distillation is a potent way of purifying water because it removes all chemicals and impurities. As a matter of fact, distilled water is much cleaner than water filtered by any other system.
Benefits to Drinking Distilled Water
This is a machine that boils water to separate chemicals, impurities, and bacteria. It also gets rid of volatile organic impurities that boil at a lower degree. After the water turns to steam, it then condenses in a clean container to be used in cooking and drinking.
Distilled water tastes different from tap water, and some people might not like the taste. However, you can add some minerals to improve it. It also makes your water healthier. Here are some advantages of using a water distiller in your home.
- Tap water contains some disinfectants like chlorine which are used to kill dangerous microorganisms that harm your health. However, too much chlorine leads to several health problems. Distilling water removes these chemicals.
- Lots of people prefer to use distilled water for plants and pets. They help control the mineral content in the soil to keep your plants healthy. Distilled water is also healthier for fish and turtles that are highly sensitive to impurities.
- Beauty experts recommend using distillers if you live in an area with high mineral content. Hard water damages your hair and skin in the long run, and these machines help removes the minerals. Using this purified water will give you a healthy glow.
- Distilled water is a natural detox that removes impurities from your system and keeps your organs healthy.
- This water will also be the right choice for car radiators and irons because no mineral buildup will clog the tubes.
- Pure distilled water is used in laboratories and hospitals for medical purposes.
What is the Difference between Distilled, Purified, and Filtered Water?
Filtered water passes through a carbon filter that physically blocks impurities. The micron size of the filter determines the types of pollutants that won’t pass through. Nevertheless, some contaminants like bacteria and dissolved chemicals can easily find their way into filtered water.
Purified water is a result of using several methods of purification like reverse osmosis, using chlorine, and UV purification. These methods can remove up to 99.99% of contaminants, but the water would still contain some minerals.
Distilled water contains no contaminants, including dissolved chemicals and gases that evaporate. All minerals are removed, leaving you with the purest water to use.
Selecting a Quality Water Distiller
Here are some essential features to look out for when you’re shopping for the best water distiller.
Make sure that the tanks and chambers are made of stainless steel or glass, not plastic. Stainless steel and glass can be sterilized and don’t react with heat, unlike plastic. Moreover, glass and stainless steel are easy to clean. If there are any plastic parts in your water distiller, you should make sure that it’s BPA free.
Some distillers have plastic containers that can affect the taste of the collected water. The cool water should be kept in a glass container for safety purposes. These distillers are better used for household purposes, other than drinking.
Distilling takes time, and the flow rate is an important feature to consider. Some machines are faster than others and are more suitable for family use.
Doctors recommend that an adult should drink at least one gallon per day. This means that a distiller that produces 4 to 6 gallons per day will be a good choice for a family of four.
How much water can your distiller hold? Most distillers can hold one gallon of water, and these are suitable for home use. Bigger models will cost more.
To determine the right capacity for you, you should ask yourself about your daily water usage. How many people are there in your family? Do you have any pets or plants? The size of the distiller is also dependent on the place where you choose to place it. A bigger one can be kept in the garage but won’t fit on the kitchen countertop.
An activated carbon filter can be used to reduce any residual taste or odor in the water. It will improve the quality of the distilled water before it gets stored in the reservoir. A filter will also block volatile impurities.
Best Water Distillers
The top water distillers on the market have been reviewed for performance, durability, and value. Find the recommended water distillers below.
Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless, Glass Collection
This distiller features a boiling chamber, upper cover, and condensing coils that are all made of 304-grade stainless steel. It resists corrosion and doesn’t react with water or heat. It provides a moderate flow rate of 1 gallon per 5.5 hours, making it a suitable choice for a small family.
It has an efficient cooling system, and the water doesn’t get in touch with plastic. The clean water is condensed in a 4L glass container that is very easy to clean. It distills water at 212 degrees Fahrenheit which is the right temperature to get rid of toxins and bacteria.
It comes with six optional carbon filters that eliminate VOCs like chlorine. The water distiller is very easy to use and shuts off automatically at the end of the cycle, so you can distill water at night. It also comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Stainless steel water distiller.
- Glass container is easy to clean.
- Automatic shut off feature for safe distilling at night.
- Carbon filtration to get rid of VOCs.
- The Flow rate is a bit slow for a bigger family.
Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Counter Top Distiller
This water distiller is rather expensive, but it comes with a 15-year warranty, so you know it will last for a long time. It’s made of stainless steel and has an aluminum cooling fan that cools water fast.
The automatic shut off feature guarantees safety when you’re not around so you can safely distill water at night or when you’re away from home. The distiller has an 800 Watt heating element that distillers 1 gallon every 4 hours, so it’s a suitable choice for a bigger family.
The glass container is BPA-free, so it doesn’t react with water. Although this distiller is bigger than other models, it’s quite easy to install.
- Stainless steel water distiller with an aluminum fan.
- Automatic shut off for safety.
- Distills 1 gallon of water every 4 hours.
- 15-year warranty.
- More expensive than other models.
Best-In-Class Stainless Steel Water Distiller with Glass Carafe
This is an affordable model made of 304-grade stainless steel. It features an innovative porcelain nozzle design that guarantees that your distilled water won’t get in touch with any plastic parts. Nevertheless, all the plastic parts are BPA-free for maximum safety.
The glass carafe carries one gallon of water and has an ergonomic handle so you can pour water easily. This unit is light and portable weighing only 8 pounds, so it’s suitable for RVs and holiday destinations.
It provides a steady flow rate of 4 gallons per day which is slower than other models. However, it’s a good choice for a family of two or three. It works when you push a single button and automatically shuts off. It uses less energy than other models.
The distiller has carbon pods that remove VOCs efficiently twice as fast as other filtering materials. It features a 565 Watt heating element that distills water at an optimum rate to produce pure water that doesn’t mix with volatile impurities.
- Stainless steel distiller with a glass container, and porcelain nozzle.
- Carbon pods remove VOCs.
- Distills water at an optimum rate, so it doesn’t mix with contaminants and VOCs.
- Lightweight distiller.
- Flow rate is very slow.
Mophorn 4L Countertop 750W Stainless Steel Water Distillation Purifier
The 304-grade stainless steel boiling chamber and the aluminum cooling fan provide you with 1 Liter of clean water per hour. The distiller features activated carbon filtration to remove VOCs. This model is affordable because the 4L collecting container is made of plastic. But it’s BPA-free so it won’t react with water.
Using a 750 Watt heating element, water will be boiled to get rid of bacteria and microorganisms. You can distill water at night, and it will automatically shut off. It’s easy to clean, although plastic isn’t as durable as glass. It has a soft catheter to prevent leaking and comes with a 2-year warranty, so it’s good value for money.
- Budget-friendly distiller.
- Stainless construction with carbon filtration.
- High heating element to get rid of contaminants.
- Made of plastic.
CO-Z FDA Approved Pure Water Distiller
This is another affordable distiller that provides clean and pure water. It provides you with 0.4 gallons of distilled water per hour, so it’s faster than other more expensive models. It’s suitable for people who need large amounts of distilled water because it produces 6 gallons of water per day.
The boiling chamber is made of 304 stainless steel that doesn’t react with water, but the collecting container is made of plastic. This plastic is BPA-free, but some people don’t think that it’s the right choice for drinking water. It has an internal thermostat that prevents overheating and has surge protection.
The collection container is only 4L big, so this means that you’ll have to empty it every few hours. Pouring water isn’t that easy, so you should be careful doing so. It will automatically shut off when the temperature reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit for maximum safety. But it doesn’t have an on/off switch and will need repeated plugins.
- Budget-friendly distiller.
- Distills 6 gallons of water per day.
- Automatic shut-off.
- Small collection container.
- Container is made of plastic.
For more guides and tips read these articles:
- Best Shower Water Filter
- Best Water Storage Containers
- Best Water Test Kit
- Best Whole House Water Filter
- Best RV Water Filter
- Best Refrigerator Water Filter
- Top Under Sink Water Filter
- Portable Water Filters
- Faucet Water Filters
- Alkaline Water Pitchers and Filters
A good water distiller will convert tap water into clean and purified water that can be used for various household uses. We picked the Best-In-Class Stainless Steel Water Distiller with Glass Carafe, Porcelain Nozzle Insert as the best water distiller for home use.
It’s lightweight, portable, yet will provide you with 4 gallons of pure water so you can use it inside and outside the house. It’s also easy to clean so you can safely drink the water produced. It’s, however, recommended to add minerals and electrolytes to distilled water if you wish to depend on it for a long time.
Fred is the Ready Zeal owner and editor. He has been passionately pursuing all things emergency preparation since working alongside his grandfather as a boy growing up in the Midwest. When not working on the family homestead he can be found brewing coffee and reading a good book or backpacking in the wilderness. Contact Fred at firstname.lastname@example.org