Are you searching for the best RV portable waste tank?
Portable waste tanks makes emptying your RV a lot easier. They especially come in handy for those who spend a lot of time camping or on the road. The key is to select a waste tank that is simple to fill and empty. With this in mind I have reviewed the top models on the market today and after reading this article you will know my recommendations.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my picks, or read on for the full review:
- Camco Rhino Heavy Duty 21 Gallon Portable Waste Tote Tank
- Tote-N-Stor Portable Waste Transport – 25 Gallon Capacity
- Thetford SmartTote2 Portable RV Waste Tote Tank 4 Wheels – 27 Gallon Capacity
- Tote-N-Stor Portable Waste Transport – 32 Gallon Capacity
- Tote-N-Stor Portable Waste Transport 4 Wheeler, 25 Gallon
Every RV owner knows the need to have a waste tank. The best RV portable waste tank makes it a lot easier for you to access dump stations when you need to empty your tank without having to relocate your RV. When you have one, you can easily empty your black or grey tank into it and then transport it to the dump station. I find that they save a lot of time and energy and make it possible to get rid of waste in a hurry.
How to Choose the Best RV Portable Waste Tank
The first thing that you will want to consider when shopping for a portable RV waste tank is how large it is. If you want to go for longer periods of time between emptying your tank, then you will need a larger tank. Additionally, I think that larger families will benefit from choosing a larger tank.
You also need to consider the material that the tank is made out of. The last thing that you want to have happen is to have your tank spring a leak when it is full. Lower-quality tanks simply aren’t made out of the same high-quality durable plastic as more expensive tanks are, which means that you may be at risk of spills.
Portable RV Waste Tank Benefits
When you are going to be staying in your RV for long periods of time and want to stay in the same spot, then you need to make sure that you either are in a location with sewer hookups or that you have a portable waste tank. With a portable waste tank, you can easily empty your grey and black water tanks to take the waste to the dump station.
One of the advantages of portable RV waste tanks is that they make it very easy for RVers to transport their waste without breaking camp or losing their spots. They are also incredibly easy to clean and keep your campsite from starting to smell.
Finally, portable RV waste tanks help you to conserve water and reduce your environmental impact when camping. You not only save on water but also on gas and emissions that it would take to drive your RV to the dump station.
Features to Look For
One attribute that you need to keep an eye out for when shopping is the wheels. While all portable RV waste tanks come with wheels so that you can easily move the tank to the dump station, I think that it’s important to make sure that the wheels are large, high-quality, and complete with durable bearings. This will prevent them from being damaged when on the road.
Some tanks only come with two wheels but I find that tanks with four wheels are significantly easier to move and to empty. They do, of course, cost a little more but I find that the added expense is usually worth it.
Also consider the hookup that the tank has. Some tanks are made to be pulled by hand but they can get really heavy when they are full. This is why I think that it’s a good idea to look for one that that can be pulled via a tow bracket. A durable tow bracket allows you to easily pull your tank to a dump station no matter how far away it is.
How to Use Your Portable RV Waste Tanks
While you don’t have to have a portable RV waste tank in order to enjoy RVing, they make it a lot easier. I find that a lot of RVers have questions about how to correctly use their tanks and how to empty them at the dump station.
As long as you wear gloves for safety and correctly connect your hose to the portable tank, then you won’t have any problems with emptying your tank. Make sure that you carefully transport your tank to the dump station either by hand or behind a car or a trailer. By going slowly on uneven ground, you can reduce the risk of damage to the tank. Finally, do your best to allow all of the contents of the tank to fully drain out into the dump station, which will reduce the amount of rinsing that you will have to do to clean it.
Precautions When Using a Portable RV Waste Tank
One of the most important things to be aware of when using a portable RV water tank is that you want to be careful when on the road. The last thing that you want to do is travel on a dirt or gravel road and hit a rock or lose a wheel as this can not only damage your tank but cause a spill. This can result in your tank requiring expensive and extensive repairs as well as being very unpleasant to clean up.
I also think that it’s important to consider how full the tank can get and how much weight you are able to move. Some of the largest tanks on the market can be incredibly heavy when they are full. Make sure that you don’t overfill your tank, which can cause a spill, or fill it up so much that you can’t easily move it.
5 Best Portable RV Waste Tanks
Camco Rhino Heavy Duty 21 Gallon Portable Waste Tote Tank
With this kit, you will have everything that you need to easily transport your waste to the dump station without moving your RV. It comes with durable wheels that have high-quality bearings to make the ride as smooth as possible. Thanks to the grooves in the body of the tank, it’s easy to strap it securely into place.
- The low drain hole makes it easy to empty completely.
- The integrated ladder hook is secure.
- The material won’t deteriorate or leak when left in the sun.
- It can be rolled or pulled behind a truck.
- The wheels are designed so that they never go flat.
- It can leak along the welded bottom seams.
- The gasket isn’t very durable or reliable.
- The tank can come unhitched on weight-distributing hitches.
Tote-N-Stor Portable Waste Transport – 25 Gallon Capacity
Thanks to the durable and rugged design of this transport tank, RVers won’t have to worry about their waste spilling when they are on the way to the dump station. The large, formed handle is designed to be easy to hold and to make it simple to pull the tank. Additionally, the wheels are large enough to easily travel on rough terrain without being damaged.
- It holds 25 gallons of waste.
- It ships with 36” of drain hose.
- Quiet rubber wheels don’t make a lot of noise.
- Towing bracket makes moving a full tank easy.
- It is very easy to connect to your RV and fill up.
- It is incredibly heavy when full.
- The hose tends to get small holes in it.
Thetford SmartTote2 Portable RV Waste Tote Tank 4 Wheels – 27 Gallon Capacity
This large RV waste tank is a great option for families who love to RV together or for RVers who won’t be able to empty their tanks on a regular basis. It’s significantly larger than some other tanks on the market but is still manageable, thanks to the four-wheel design and the durable handle.
- It is useable right out of the box.
- AutoStop gauge prevents accidentally overfilling the tank.
- The handle hooks onto hitch for towing.
- Storage compartment holds sewer fittings and hose.
- Front wheels swivel with the handle.
- The dump intake is high on the container, making it difficult to empty.
- The wheels are a little small and make it difficult to roll the tank.
Tote-N-Stor Portable Waste Transport – 32 Gallon Capacity
It’s very easy to both fill and empty this storage tank, thanks to the placement of the drain hole. Not only is it easy to use but it’s durable enough to be pulled behind an RV, truck, or trailer on the way to the dump station. The rugged design of the tank means that it won’t easily be damaged when on rough back roads. At eight inches long, this large tank is perfect for a larger family.
- Storage compartment easily stores accessories.
- It holds 32 gallons of waste.
- Quiet rubber wheels make it easy to move.
- The steel tow bracket is great for pulling the tank behind an RV.
- Tire assembly isn’t very durable.
- Wheel bushings aren’t very high-quality.
- Wheels are easily damaged on rough roads.
- It can be difficult to tell when the tank is full.
Tote-N-Stor Portable Waste Transport 4 Wheeler, 25 Gallon
Complete with four wheels, a three-year manufacturer warranty, and durable handle, this tank offers you all of the storage that you need for your waste as well as for your hookup fittings. This means that you have everything you need in one place. RVers love that they don’t have to lift the tank to empty it, which is great for users who don’t have the strength to do so or simply want an easy option.
- Storage compartment for accessories is included.
- Low-profile design ensures easy storage.
- Handy vent system ensures fast draining.
- Rubber wheels won’t get damaged on rocky roads.
- Tow bracket prevents the handle from dragging on the ground.
- It can sometimes leak at the swivel joint.
- Hose clamps can be difficult to connect correctly.
For more guides and tips read these articles:
Even though these five portable RV waste tanks are all great options, I recommend the Tote-N-Stor 20123. This tank has four wheels, which makes it easy to transport it to the dump station. Additionally, the built-in storage compartment ensures that you always have the necessary connections, hoses, and clamps needed to use this tank. The handy vent system means that this tank easily and quickly drains and the low-profile design of the tank keeps it from taking up a lot of storage space when you’re on the road. I also like that it holds 25 gallons of waste, which isn’t the largest tank on the market but is light enough for most people to easily move.