Are you looking for the best WiFi Antenna?
WiFi antenna technology has improved tremendously in recent years and you can now reliably boost your WiFi range through a quality WiFi antenna. I have used a few in my home and it has been a great improvement in signal performance. I have reviewed the top wifi antenna models currently available and after reading this article you will know my recommendations.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my best WiFi antenna picks, or read on for the full review:
- REMO Outdoor 2.4GHz Wireless High Gain WiFi Antenna
- BrosTrend 1200Mbps Long Range USB WiFi Antenna
- Inamax WiFi USB 3.0 Wireless Network WiFi Dongle with 5dBi Antenna
- Universal Kit Dual Band Wifi 9dbi Booster Long Range Omni Directional 2.4/5Ghz Antenna
- TECHKEY Wireless USB WiFi Adapter High Gain Dual 5dBi Antenna
If you want to extend the range of your WIFI, then you will need to invest in the best WiFi antenna. I find that there is a lot of confusion around different types of antennas and that it can be really tricky for people to find the right one. If you want to get a great antenna that will work for you, then you need to use this guide to help you make a good choice.
Selecting the Best WIFI Antenna
The first thing that you have to decide when shopping for a new WIFI antenna is whether you want to be able to simply plug it into your computer or if you are going to connect it permanently to your router. I like the freedom of being able to remove my antenna from my USB port, but it can also be nice to have it permanently installed, especially if you take your computer away from the house sometimes.
You also must consider whether you want an antenna that is designed for indoor or for outdoor use. If you are trying to get signal to an area far away from your router, such as for security cameras to use, then you may want to consider an outdoor antenna to cover this distance. However, indoor antennas can send their signal outdoors, although they generally have a much smaller range.
Benefits of Having a Great WIFI Antenna
The obvious advantage that you will enjoy when you invest in a WIFI antenna is that your signal will be boosted and will extend for a farther distance. This means that no matter whether you have a large house or simply want to use the internet when you’re outside, you will be able to enjoy better connectivity to the internet.
Additionally, these antennae often tend to boost the signal that you’re enjoying, which means that you can have access to faster internet speeds. This is great for users who want to be able to play games and share files but can’t easily do so due to lower internet speeds. A powerful WIFI antenna can boost internet speeds so much that this becomes possible.
Features to Consider
I think that it’s important to consider the range of your WIFI antenna, if listed, as well as the speeds that it will provide you. It’s important to remember that an antenna that boasts boosting speeds up to 867 Mbps will generally only do so on a 5 GHz band. This means that if you have a lower band of 2.4 GHZ, you will enjoy speeds of closer to 300 Mbps. By knowing your band and speed, you can enjoy a much better expectation of what to expect.
It’s also important, if you are choosing an antenna that will plug into your computer, that you are sure that it is compatible with your device. While most PC computers will work well with most antennae, some Mac computers and others that run on Linux may be more difficult to set up. This is important to consider before making a purchase, as it can make it very frustrating for you.
How to Use Your New Antenna
Depending on where you need to plug in your antenna, you will either connect it to your computer or to your router. I find that the antennae that connect to your router work instantly, but they may take a little more work to connect them correctly.
Antennae that plug into a computer need to have a driver downloaded in order to work, so users need to make time to do so. Some antennae come with a CD that makes it easy to download and run this driver, while others require internet access to do so.
Once your new antenna is installed and functional, then you will enjoy a boost in your signal. This is great for anyone looking to improve their distance or their WIFI speed.
There are a few thing to consider when buying a WIFI antenna for use at your home or business. The first is that you need to make sure that both sides of your WIFI connection can talk to each other, or you won’t enjoy a better range. This means that your phone, computer, gaming system, and more all need to be able to reach the router, or you will only serve to make your WIFI coverage more unpredictable.
Additionally, you must be careful that you don’t accidentally make it too difficult for your neighbors to connect to the internet. By boosting your signal, you can actually create more interference, or “noise,” which can become a problem for your neighbors.
I know that everyone wants to be safe when using WIFI, which is why you must make sure that your internet is protected. The last thing that you want to do is extend your WIFI so far that others can easily steal your internet, which may put you at risk.
5 Best WiFi Antennas
Boosting your wifi range is possible with a quality antenna booster. This will provide you with better and more reliable wireless internet connectivity. This will improve everything from your cell phone and laptop signal at home, to all your smart home technology. I have reviewed the top wifi antennas for performance, reliability, and durability.
REMO Outdoor 2.4GHz Wireless High Gain WiFi Antenna
This antenna is designed specifically to be used in outdoor locations, and it can work with routers that have an external SMA port or a detachable rod antenna. It can provide coverage up to .75 miles when there aren’t any obstacles in the way.
- Great for boosting signal to distant security cameras
- Weatherproof design helps protect the antenna from rain and other bad weather
- Easily connects to the router with a RP-SMA connector
- Offers a gain of 12.5 to 15 dBi
- Cable length is 16 feet, which is long enough for most owners to connect and set up the antenna
- Not easy to connect
- Made from aluminum and plastic, which means that it may not last for long periods of time in bad weather
BrosTrend 1200Mbps Long Range USB WiFi Antenna
This is a great option for any homeowner who wants to be able to quickly plug in their antenna and enjoy better WIFI range without a lot of work. Because it connects to a computer via USB, it can easily be moved from one computer to another, if the need arises. Additionally, it can work on both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz bands.
- Easily connects to any port on the computer
- USB 3.0 port is 10 times faster than a USB 2.0 port
- Easily works with any WIFI router
- Can boost speeds to 567 Mbps on a 5GHz band
- Can be difficult to run with certain versions of Windows
- Driver software can be difficult to download and install
Inamax WiFi USB 3.0 Wireless Network WiFi Dongle with 5dBi Antenna
Enjoy incredibly fast speeds in just a few minutes when you use this WIFI antenna. It’s easy to download and to install the driver, which means that users can start enjoying faster internet without much of a delay. Additionally, it works on most PC computers without needing updates or patches, which makes it one of the most accessible options on the market today.
- Offers speeds up to 1200 Mbps on 5 Ghz WIFI bands
- Doesn’t require any driver for a PC computer
- Offers backwards compatibility
- Plug-and-play design allows users to set up this antenna without any delay or frustration
- Great for connecting to a weak signal
- Doesn’t support projectors, printers, or TVs
- Tends to disconnect randomly
Universal Kit Dual Band Wifi 9dbi Booster Long Range Omni Directional 2.4/5Ghz Antenna
Anyone who is looking to extend their WIFI range so that they can better connect security cameras or enjoy more connectivity throughout their house and yard will appreciate this option. The magnet base makes it easy to set it up in a variety of locations, and since it ships with multiple adapters, it can easily be used on many different types of routers, access points, network cards, and range extenders.
- Ships with multiple adapters to be used on any wireless device
- Offers omni-directional signal in all directions
- Easily increases wireless range
- Perfect for replacing the existing antenna on the router
- Perfect for extending WIFI range for security cameras
- Not great when there are a lot of obstacles in the way
- Sometimes ships without the extra components
TECHKEY Wireless USB WiFi Adapter High Gain Dual 5dBi Antenna
Homeowners who simply need to improve their WIFI so that they can better use the internet will appreciate how easy it is to install and setup this antenna. It works well on PC and Mac computers, although it can take a little while to download the driver, as it is not as plug-and-play as some of the other options on the market.
- Ensures great WIFI range and connectivity for a computer
- Offers up to 867 Mbps on a 5 GHz WIFI band
- Simple installation, thanks to the 3.0 USB
- 24-month free warranty with fast customer service for the best use of this product
- Easily create a hotspot for others to use
- Not easy to connect to computers that run Linux
- Not powerful enough for gaming or filing sharing
For more antenna and connectivity articles read these articles:
- Best Attic Antenna
- Best Long Range Outdoor TV Antenna
- Best Wireless Access Point
- Best Wireless Doorbell
- Best Wireless Home Intercom System
The BrosTrend 1200 Mbps is one of the most popular WIFI antennas on the market, and for good reason. This is an incredibly powerful antenna that is surprisingly easy to use, which I think is a great feature for anyone looking to improve their WIFI signal speed or strength. Additionally, it comes with access to great tech support, which is important for anyone who struggles with technical computer problems, and it’s easy to download updated drivers from the company website so that you can always enjoy the fastest possible speeds. With a 24-month unconditional refund or replacement warranty, you won’t have to worry about any problem that occurs within 2 years from purchase.