Are you searching for the best combat boots?
Whether you need a tough pair of work boots, durable hiking or camping boots, or boots for military training I have reviewed the most popular models on the market and after reading this article you will know my recommendations.
Check the quick list below for links to customer reviews and prices for my best combat boots picks, or read on for the full review:
- 5.11 ATAC Jungle Men’s Combat Boots for Tactical Military Use
- Ryno Gear Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining
- Smith & Wesson Men’s Breach 2.0 Tactical Side Zip Boots
- Belleville Khyber II Lightweight Mountain Hybrid Boot
- Danner Men’s Tachyon 8 Inch Coyote Military and Tactical Boot
Whether you’re military personnel, a law enforcement official, a first responder, a worker or simply outdoor activities and survival enthusiast, owning the right combat boots will take care of your feet and help you carry out your tasks.
You need to find the most efficient boots that will match the activities and conditions during which you’re going to wear them. So here, we break down the features to look for and our recommendations for the best combat boots.
How to Choose the Best Combat Boots
In order to find the most suitable combat boots for you, there are several factors to put into consideration:
- Fit: The most important point is to have boots that comfortably fit your feet. You should look for the best size for you so that your toes don’t wiggle inside the boots and your heels stay firmly in place. The incorrect fit will result in discomfort and could cause problems over time including blisters and swelling.
- Material: You should look for boots that are made from materials that combine comfort with durability and good weight. Good quality boots are mainly made from full-grain leather which molds to your feet and could also be water-resistant or waterproof. The soles should be made from high-quality rubber materials. Full leather boots are usually heavy, so if you’re looking for lighter options you might consider boots made from a combination of synthetic leather and nylon. The interior part needs to be made from breathable lining to keep your feet cool and dry.
- Protection: Combat boots incorporate several features for protection like a steel toe to safeguard your toes against injuries or getting crushed by heavy objects falling on them. They also include padded or cushioned parts for support and safety. The soles should provide shock absorption and reduce the forces on the feet resulting from uneven surfaces as well as efficient traction to prevent slipping. The shaft also needs to be long enough and tight fit to protect the ankle and prevent any debris from entering.
- Application: The environment you will use your boots in and the nature of work you will do while wearing them dictates the features you should look for. If you’re going to be using them for hiking, running or climbing, a lightweight boot with heel breaks and a good grip is a good option to give you maximum stability on steep terrains. Boots with breathable materials are better for hot and dry environments to provide enough ventilation and decrease sweat while wet and humid environments like swamps will need waterproof boots. You should only look for heavier boots with a steel toe if you require the extra protection because of your work environment.
Top Rated Combat Boots
I’ve owned a few pairs of combat and I like them for working around the property when cutting wood and putting up fence. I’ve also used them out in the woods fishing, hiking, and camping. I’ve found investing in a quality pair of combat boots to be well worth the cost. With that in mind I have reviewed the top options available today for performance, comfort, and durability.
5.11 ATAC Jungle Men’s Combat Boots for Tactical Military Use
The 5.11 ATAC boots are designed for all kinds of activities, whether it’s for military and law enforcement use or for hiking and exploring. The shoe is made from full-grain leather that takes the shape of your feet over time for better-customized fit and feel. The full-grain toe also gives strong support for your toes along with the polished look. The nylon upper part provides good breathability and the tongue allows suitable airflow.
The sole is comprised of synthetic materials. The midsole is made from injection-molded phylon while the insole is a double layer ortholite foam that provides cushioning and comfortable fit. The shoe is also lined with moisture absorbent fabric from the inside to keep your feet cool and dry in all weather conditions and serve as an antibacterial treatment. The outsole is equipped with a shock mitigation system as well as a slip and oil resistant material.
The boots feature a side zipper so you could easily and quickly put them on and take them off. They also include a hidden knife pocket to keep your knife within your arm’s reach.
- Easy to wear with the side zipper
- The moisture-wicking lining provides cooling and antibacterial protection
- Shock mitigation system and slip resistant sole
- Includes a knife pocket
- A little squeaky
- Nicks start to appear in the sole after some time
Ryno Gear Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining
The Ryno Gear boots are good for hiking and survival activities but not for heavy duty circumstances like military use. They are made from a combination of leather and ballistic nylon in order to ensure comfort as well as make the shoe more durable and sturdy. They also feature padded collars to help protect your ankles from getting injured while wearing the boots.
The inner part includes a breathable mesh lining to provide good ventilation for your feet. The lining is also water resistant to keep the feet dry. The shoe also comes with removable insoles with shock absorption capabilities to prevent the rebound force and reduce fatigue and pain resulting from extended walking or standing.
The outsole is made from a slip-resistant rubber material that improves traction and adds more grip to the bottom of the boots which helps on several surfaces, especially slippery and muddy terrains. The shoe can be worn using the side zipper which is easy and fast.
- Includes a padded collar for ankle protection
- The Coolmax lining provides good breathability and water resistance
- Removable insoles that offer shock absorption
- Low cost
- Not as durable as the other options and could tear with heavy use
Smith & Wesson Men’s Breach 2.0 Tactical Side Zip Boots
The Smith & Wesson Breach 2.0 boots are suitable for hot and dry environments and different kinds of rough terrains such as mountains, jungles, and deserts but they are not as good for humid areas like swaps as they are water-resistant but not waterproof. The shoe is made from leather and nylon breathable materials using a board-lasted construction with torsional rigidity that helps reduce fatigue and pain after long periods of use.
The upper part is comprised of foam-padded PU collar providing good protection for your ankle and a gusseted tongue that prevents dirt and debris from entering the shoe. The boots also feature an EVA midsole that includes a steel shank that ensures sturdy foot support and high comfort.
The shoe also has a YKK side zipper closure that is very durable and helps keep debris out and a slip-resistant rubber outsole that can grip to all kinds of surfaces with high traction.
- Durable side zipper closure
- Features an EVA midsole with comfortable cushioning and a high support steel shank
- The gusseted tongue keeps dirt and particles out
- Good traction provided by the rubber outsole
- Not waterproof
- The toe box is small
Belleville Khyber II Lightweight Mountain Hybrid Boot
The Belleville TR550 boots are great for military use as they can withstand harsh environments and rugged terrains. These boots are made from leather that makes them sturdy, rugged and provides extended durability. They have a breathable combat lunar lining.
The shoe features a TR-1 load bearing orthotic insole that helps maximize the comfort and endure rough terrains. It also integrates a deeply-serrated heel and toe overlay for the purpose of improving ground feel and mobility as well as assisting in braking, vertical climbing, arresting slides, and crawling.
The boots are also designed with a lace-to-toe style to make for a customized and comfortable fit. The included VIBRAM ”IBEX” outsole aids with rugged terrain and gives more stability and traction. It also has rappelling bars that protect against the wear of the outsole.
- Extremely durable and sturdy, suitable for rugged terrains
- Integrated deeply-serrated heel and toe help with mobility and stability while also extending the wear and life of the boots.
- The load bearing insole provides great comfort and endurance on rough terrains
- The VIBRAM outsole with the rappelling bars is sturdy and has good traction on rugged terrains
- No side zipper
Danner Men’s Tachyon 8 Inch Coyote Military and Tactical Boot
The Danner Tachyon boots are a good choice for hiking and outdoor activities. They provide an appropriate level of comfort in addition to being lightweight. They are made from leather and have a synthetic upper part that is extra light and has ultra-fast dry time which reduces blistering and skin abrasions.
The shaft is 6.5 inches from the arch and features speed lacing with a 3-layer comfort system for a better fit. The shoe also has an open cell polyurethane footbed that enhances airflow and provides ease of use over long periods of time. The cushioned EVA midsole with the shock absorbing shank aid with the navigation of rough and uneven terrains.
The boots are equipped with a full rubber outsole instead of a composite rubber one which results in better traction and protection for your feet while also maintaining good shock absorption and abrasion resistance. The lugs are pentagonal for high surface contact. The boots also have an abrasion-proof toe-cap and the top eyelets make it easy to tighten or loosen the fit.
- Full rubber outsole ensures good grip and protection
- Open cell polyurethane improves airflow and comfort
- Lightweight fabric with quick drying time to protect against blisters
- Spacious toe box with abrasion-proof toe-cap make it more comfortable
- Not sturdy enough
- Unlined interior a little uncomfortable
For more tactical guides and tips read these articles:
- Best Tactical Tomahawk
- Best Bushcraft Knife
- Best Survival Machete
- Best Survival Shovel
- Best Tactical Belt
- Best Camping Tarp
- Best Mess Kit
- Best Tactical Boots
- Best Range Bag
- Best Tactical Vest and Plate Carrier
If you’re looking for boots that will serve you in different environments and conditions while performing all kinds of activities, the 5.11 ATAC is the best all-rounder option with great durability and extreme comfort for a suitable price range.
Fred is the Ready Zeal owner and editor. He has been passionately pursuing all things emergency preparation since working alongside his grandfather as a boy growing up in the Midwest. When not working on the family homestead he can be found brewing coffee and reading a good book or backpacking in the wilderness. Contact Fred at [email protected]